Welcome statement



Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Let the butchery begin!

WHat good is overly expensive plywood if you don't chop it to pieces?

So, while my family is away on vacation and I have the basement to myself, I commenced to lofting, cutting and gluing as much as I could.  My Dad stopped in to "supervise" and was kind enough to play delivery truck driver for me as I picked up a load of Eastern White Pine for my framing pieces.  The folks at Boards and Beams have a nice stack of decent EWP boards at a very reasonable price.  They were very helpful and will get my repeat business if needed (gun'ls...).

It all starts with lofting the lines onto the panels:

Lofting begins with a side panel

looking forward to the bow

And then you come to the cursing part.  At some point, my methodical process broke down and I missed a measurement.  That mistake took place very early in the marking so I made the vast majority of the marks incorrectly.  Those marks received little nail holes and the nail holes were connected by a very long pencil mark before I found the mistake.  At the aft end I  found my batten forming an odd shape, certainly not fair:

S-curves are not in the plan!

Once I re-checked the measurements, I realized what I had done.  And I cursed.  Then I turned off the lights and watch a movie.

I would go on to correct the matter, but it was a little unnerving to have made such a silly mistake since I thought I was being so careful, checking off the measurements on the plan sheet as I went along.  ANyway...

I spent the following day outdoors, building a cutting table, buying lumber (thanks again Dad) and cutting parts that I correctly marked.  Since my dad was so busy supervising, there are few photos.

Captain-to-be

No comments:

Post a Comment