Welcome statement

Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Leaps of Faith

I had to force myself to do it, but today I took a jigsaw to two of my precious bulkheads and cut big fat holes in them to install deck plates.  I'm doing that now while the bulkheads are easy to handle.  Plus it was something I could accomplish quickly and show a bit of progress.

The #1 bulkhead gets a large, 8" diameter hatch.  Because access to this hatch will be tricky (one has to reach through bulkhead #2, between the mast and the hull side) I went with Seadog's lever latch model rather than a screw-in style.  The good folks at Duckworks Boat Builders Supply like it, so I'm giving it a try.

Then I attacked Bulkhead #4.  I punched two 5" holes in it.

It took a significant leap of faith to hack away at these parts, but that's all behind me now.   I think... I might... be possibly... ready to go 3D.  Maybe.  More to follow.

So... Where Was I?

There are crocuses blooming in my yard.  I guess winter is over.  Much like our local black bear population, I have spent the winter not quite hibernated but certainly indoors and lethargic.  Today I did some actual GIS building so I thought it was time to catch up on the blog.

Over the winter I did accomplish little odds and ends:

--My trailer is registered and my car now has a tow hitch installed (I still need to tap into the wiring though).  I've stripped all the old mounts from the frame and will be making custom fit cradles once the GIS hull is formed.

--I completed all the hand-sewn rings on my sail.  I still have to install the reef points which will also be hand sewn, but much smaller.

--I fully coated my yard and boom and re-drilled the holes for the lashing eyes.  I have the shackle hardware for the yard-throat lashing.  I should have purchased two sets because now I want to do the same at the boom.

--I partially coated the mast, including the fiberglass wrap at the base.  I ran out of warm weather during the holidays, plus I had lots of family visiting.  I'll be sanding down the lumps and drilling holes for hardware in time for a final coat of epoxy.

--I gathered some ancillary equipment and gear.  My brother donated a bagful of used blocks that are serviceable.  I purchased a new Personal Floatation Device, a military surplus dry suit, a sea anchor, a collapsible bailing bucket, 1' webbing for hiking straps (will be used with foam padding on some sort), saddles, deck plates, and elastic sail ties.

--I fooled around with scrap walnut and made a horn cleat and what may become a handle for my tiller extension.  The handle is not fitting my palm quite right and I might toss it.

--I helped my brother become acquainted with his newly-acquired Beneteau Oceanis 331 (not GIS-related, but worthy of note).

That covers the GIS-related activities since September.  My next post will have some actual building in it, I swear.