Welcome statement



Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Getting good wood

I'm alone in my house for a week or so while my wife and kids are visiting with family, so now's a great opportunity to hijack the basement with big sheets of plywood.  After briefly considering ordering less expensive ply of questionable pedigree, I took the plunge and ordered six sheets of Joubert brand 6mm, 5-ply, Okoume marine plywood from Robert's Plywood on Long Island.  The clincher was that they'd deliver to my door the next day (because they happened to be making a delivery nearby anyway). $90 a sheet, delivered.  All my internet compadres said, "good deal on great wood" and "you can't go wrong with Joubert, and that's a good price for it."

The good stuff

Mmmmm....

...tasty

Can I lay out two sheet end-to-end as required for the side panels and the bottom?  Just barely:

Typical bachelor behavior

I can't loft the big pieces yet because I don't have a fairing batten long enough yet.  But I did lay out the patterns on one sheet last night: the transom, front seat and two bulkheads.  At this point I must state for the record that while I think Michael Storer is a brilliant designer and overall nice guy, his method for marking out the parts is BONKERS.  There.  I got it off my chest.  I'm smart enough to understand how to get where he wants me to go, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done it this way myself.  My goal is to loft a sheet per night for four nights (including the two double sheets) and then cut them all out.  But I do need a batten...

Oh yeah, and I need more lumber so I can frame the parts up.  If all goes well, I can go 3-D when the family returns.  I really do want the kids to have a hand in this build, I swear...


No comments:

Post a Comment