Welcome statement



Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Foils

I have been putting off dealing with the rudder and daggerboard (collectively, blades or foils) for far too long.  I had made a conscious decision not to assemble the rudder box or the centercase until these foils were complete, but that strategy has created a bottleneck. A week ago I decided to overcome my fear of foils, and yesterday also decided to assemble the bigger parts without the completed foils.

I tackled the rudder first because it is smaller and I suspect not as critical to the boat's performance if I screw it up.  Using Storer's handy-dandy foil-o-matic gauge, I hit the leading edge with my belt sander and 50-grit paper.



I worked at opposite ends, leaving the middle untouched for awhile.  The middle was removed with a plane after I was comfortable with the shape of the ends.


I then proceeded to the trailing edge of the same face in the same manner.


The rest of the story (i.e. the opposite face) went the same.  For my daggerboard, I will alter the process slightly.  I will work both faces' ends before removing the middles.  I don't have photos for this post, but I kept the trailing edge squared off per Storer's instructions.  I still need to touch up the edges with a sanding block, but I'm confident enough to commence with the daggerboard soon.  Plus, I have to finish sanding the rudder so I can get some epoxy on it (and fiberglass, and more epoxy, and sanding, and... oy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment