Welcome statement



Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Taking the Next Step

The next step was to turn the hull over (a family affair!) and install the bottom.  I set the three corner back on supports again, checked the level (which is when I noticed that BHD3 was not quite) and began planing down the chine logs.  Planing wood is a very satisfying task; everyone should plane some wood.

I used my trusty belt sander to finish off the chine logs and to level things out.  The hull bottom came next and confirm that things were fitting properly.  I marked off the frame locations on the bottom so I could be sure to screw into the frames.  Bag o' screws?  Check.  Bag o' pads?  Check.  Let the screwing begin!


As per plans, I then unscrewed half the panel, spread on the goo, and closed her up.

After a few days of curing, I hit the edges with the planes to trim the bottom to the sides.  Mmmm, planing.

1 comment: