Welcome statement



Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 13, 2012

May-June 2012: Mizzen Support Structure


I decided to lay the foundations for the mizzen mast in advance, even though I won't be making the mizzen mast and sail for awhile.  THis way, all I have to do a punch a hole in the aft deck and the hull is ready and waiting for Yawl-ness.

Early version of step, later reduced in size

Stringer changed to lateral span,
will accommodate possible future storage locker
Partner aligned over step.
Final assembly brought it flush with seat cleat it's shown resting on here.
Much more compact step.  Mast contact point reinforced with fiberglass.
Wedged base compensates for slope of hull.

Mock boomkin.  Having seen John Goodman's boomkin mount break, I intend to distribute the load ove a much broader area with two mounting points.
Mast-eye's-view.  Mizzen mast will be hollow box construction like the main.
More mock boomkin action.  
I will secure the boomkin with two brackets, one close to the forward stringer and a taller one near the transom.  The height difference will provide the rising angle envisioned by Clint Chase, which is both needed to avoid contact with the water and desired for aesthetic balance.  This plan also removes the transom from any load bearing duties so I should not have to add reinforcement to it's face.

I hope the designer will appreciate my attempt to reduce weight.


Sadly, I did not capture any images of the mast box that will seal the aft buoyancy chamber.  It is essentially the same method that I used up front: four side of ply with filleting mix in the corners.  I did a seal test by plugging the drain hole (not seen here but it runs from the step through the transom frame and and out the stern) and filling the mast box with water.  It didn't hold at first so I added more filleting 'til I got it right.  All this is now hidden under the aft deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment