Welcome statement



Welcome to my blog on the building and sailing of a Goat Island Skiff (GIS). Join us on the Michael Storer Wooden Boat Plans forum or on Facebook, where the community of Storer Boat builders, owners, and admirers share their ideas, experiences, and watery hi-jinx.

If you are new to this blog, start at the beginning by selecting the oldest date in the blog archive located in the left-hand column. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Quickie Update

I've tapered my second version of the yard and kept track of the bend measurements.  Much as I believed, this one is stiffer (and heavier) and held up tot he shaping better.  I'll radius the corners rather than rounding it off fully, partially because I don't want it to get too bendy and partially for the aesthetics.  The mast will be square with radiused edges and I think matching spars will look good.  Finally, I found another nice Doug Fir 2x8 (x10') that I think will yield a quality boom.

My mast is 75% constructed.  Both narrow staves are shaped and connected by spacers.  One wide stave is glued up.

I'll post pics and more commentary soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment